Home automation, in a nutshell, is the automatic use of electronic devices, appliances, and utilities to make a home smart. With the advent of technologies like the Internet of Things (IoT), the way home devices are used has drastically changed. We may say that home automation has begun a revolution in itself by touching almost all the pain points of the users. It would be unjust not saying that this revolution has made homes smarter, interactive, and energy-efficient. From light bulbs to smoke and gas detectors, motion sensors and smart plugs, etc. users can now operate their home appliances and utilities using the internet through a few clicks or voice instructions. With these technological updates, the way users interact with their home environment has been redefined. Previously, an appliance that had to be switched on using a power switch can now be used using a mobile phone. And this is not it; home automation has also touched upon areas like personalized lighting solutions, burglary alerts, live streaming of home spaces using smart cameras, or opening or closing of car garage using a mobile application. What previously existed just in sci-fi movies seems to be becoming a reality powered through the internet. There are many ways to automate home spaces and a wide variety of need-based automation options for users. The crux is that home automation is seen as a supporting hand for working individuals who can leverage this technology to lead a smart way of living. But the question that many have in their minds about this next-gen home revamp is how it works. What exactly is the interface that allows such gobsmacking coordination of devices controlled through a mobile app? Let us try and understand how exactly does home automation works.
How does home automation work?
Home automation works on the network of hardware, communication and electronic interfaces that connect everyday home devices or appliances using the internet. The main component of home automation becomes the internet-powered hub (like a CPU) and the sensors. Users can now manage home devices and functions using their mobile phones or tablets, even from miles away.
The automation, in fact, allows users to turn off lights, open their doors, or even set the home temperature at any time and from anywhere. Let us look at the three most essential components of a home automation system.
- Sensors: This part of the home automation system monitors changes in daylight and temperature. It also senses and detects motions and acts as an alarming system. By using such information, users can remotely and automatically make adjustments as per their preferences.
- Controllers: These are the devices like mobile phones or tablets etc. used by the end-user to send and receive information and instructions to the automated features of the home spaces. Using these devices, the user control how their home devices act in real-time.
- Actuators: These are devices like light switches, motors, or motorized valves, that enable the real action, or the actual mechanism or function of the automated devices. Actuators work ok receiving a remote command from a controller.
Areas touched by home automation
Home automation, though, a broad topic with many possibilities and options, includes: -
- Gas and smoke detectors
- Remote lighting control and personalization
- Motion sensors for automatic lighting, tracing intrusions, etc.
- Entry sensors for detecting open/ close doors, windows, garage, etc.
- Multi-function buttons to raise burglar alarms
- Temperature and humidity sensors
- Smart wifi cameras with a live stream on connected devices
- Smart cabinet locking system
- Smart Plugs to remotely control home appliances and devices
In a nutshell
Home automation brings with itself several exciting benefits that make it a must-to-adopt smart system. In a nutshell, these can be considered as the ground to opt for home automation and adopt a smarter way of living.
- Remote Access: Ability to remotely access home appliances and devices using smartphones, tablets, or laptops.
- Comfort and Easy Action: Boosting the comfort and overall vibe of homes spaces by virtually setting the desirable home temperature, lighting, music, etc. to concoct an ambient home environment.
- Convenience: Ability to program devices to automatically start/ stop at a given time, or send a remote action from anywhere using the internet.
- Increased Safety: Harnessing a safe and secure home environment using devices like motion sensors, burglar alarm, smart camera, etc.
- Energy Efficiency: Saving big on electricity costs by the mindful use of energy and ease of usage.
Home automation has disrupted the way individuals look at their home spaces. It promotes a smart and conscious way of living by making the best of dominating technologies of the market. Konnsys aims at integrating such smart automation solution for your home space for making it smart, comfortable, secure, and convenient.